Sunday, August 25, 2013

In the Waiting Room.


I am not a big fan of waiting rooms; I am not sure if anyone really is. Being in them usually feels like the biggest waste of time. You have things you have to get done, places you need to be, but you have to just sit and wait.

I think there are times in our lives that are a lot like a waiting room. There are seasons where God tells us to wait. There are times where I just wanna go, I want to move on, but God tells me to wait till He gives me the okay to proceed. I can get so frustrated in those seasons. I start to wonder, “What is God thinking? We are just wasting time here.”  Then, God reminds me who He is. He’s God. His timing is perfect. Who am I to tell God when we are going to wait and when we are going to move ahead? God has never been off on His timing, so when He says to wait, it’s to our own benefit that we obey.

When you’re waiting, there is still that feeling that all you’re doing is wasting time. However, waiting time and wasted time are not the same thing. Any moment you spend bringing glory to God is never a waste. So, waiting time will not be wasted if you worship Christ in the waiting. God does not call us to be a light sometimes, He calls us to be a light all the time, even in the waiting room. Just because you’re not in college yet, you’re not married yet, or you don’t have the job you want yet, it does not mean you can’t still bring glory to God. You can do great things right where you are. 

Don’t get me wrong, I am very aware that waiting is still very hard. I am not trying to make waiting sound more fun to you, because it can still be frustrating and difficult to do. I think the story of Isaac and Rebekah in Genesis 24 can help us here. We see in the first few verses that Abraham sends one of his servants to find a wife for his son, Isaac. The servant has to travel very far with ten camels. I cannot even imagine how difficult that journey would be. I can complain if I have to drive for a few hours in my air conditioned car to go on vacation. This servant must have had an incredibly hard journey. However, in all 67 verses of Genesis 24, there is not one of them that says how bad the journey was. In the end, it didn't matter. The hardships in the journey didn't even compare to the pay off in the end, when he found Rebekah. I think the same can apply to our waiting rooms in life. How hard it is will not even be worth mentioning in comparison to the joy we find in trusting God through every step of our journey.

So, waiting rooms can be frustrating, but if you are illuminating praise to God while you are in it, then, you are not wasting your time. God has a plan and His timing is perfect; we just need to trust Him. I pray that, no matter what your season of waiting looks like, God gives you strength to continue to glorify Him right where He has you today.


Also, I have loved getting emails from all my readers! Keep them coming! Email any of your questions, comments, or prayer requests to christy@tonynolan.org . Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Great analogy....the waiting room experience....waiting time vs. wasting time. You are making some very true points about waiting on God....thanks for reminding me. Even though I know this, I need to be reminded about the value of trusting God's timetable for my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I pray that God blesses you as you walk through your own waiting rooms in life. :)

      Delete