Thursday, August 15, 2013

This is my Story.


        I like to think of this blog as an opportunity for me to point others to Christ and one of the biggest ways I know how to do that is to share how God has changed my life. My youth pastor recently challenged us to share our testimonies with boldness and to make it known to everyone that Jesus is our Lord and Savior. So, in the paragraphs that follow, I would like to tell you my story. 

I was born and raised in a Christian home. My dad is an evangelist and, as long as I can remember, he has traveled all over the country telling people the Good New of Jesus Christ. I always knew about God growing up and I knew all the Sunday school answers.  I thought, for sure, I would make it into Heaven because my parents were Christians and because I was a “good kid”.  However, in reality, I was not a “good kid”. No one is good; we are all sinful people, but in my mind I was “good” because I wasn’t as bad as other people I knew. I thought I was doing okay, but in actuality, I was a lost and broken soul on the road to hell.

One Sunday morning, when I was 7 years old, I was listening to Dr. Junior Hill preach a powerful sermon. He was speaking about how you never know when death is going to come and, once it does, you need to be ready for it. After you die, there is no coming back and making a decision to follow Christ then; you have to do it now. It felt as if Dr. Hill was speaking directly to me as he shared the entire Gospel. He said that I was a sinner and that Jesus came and took the punishment I deserve. He lived a perfect life, He died on the cross, and then rose to life 3 days later, all because of His vast love for me. I remember realizing that I needed my own faith and that I couldn’t get to heaven just because my daddy was a preacher. I was overwhelmed with the love of Christ as a 7 year old girl and, that night, I gave my heart and life to Jesus Christ. I was no longer held captive to sin and I became a willing servant of God. 

As the years went on, my faith became stronger, but it really started to grow once I hit middle school. All through my life I had seen God work in amazing ways. My dad had preached in many major arenas around the country, and we saw thousands come to know Christ as their Lord and Savior. In fact, I had seen it so much that I was almost numb to it, until about my seventh grade year. I could see hundreds of people come to know Christ at one time and it wouldn’t even occur to me how astounding that was, because I saw it every night. However, while I was in middle school, God became so much more real to me. I was moved by His presence and I started to crave it more and more. 


Part of the reason I grew so much during my middle school years is because of a girl named Brittany. She worked for my family and would go with us when we traveled places. I can honestly say this girl is one of the most pivotal people in my walk with the Lord. She is quite a few years older than me and, at the time, I wanted to be just like her. I wanted to be like her in every way. So, when I saw her reading her Bible, it inspired me to read mine, as well. I started doing some of the same devotionals she did and they helped me as I launched deeper into God’s Word. I will never be able to thank God enough for putting Brittany in my life. Even now, I strive to be the “Brittany” in other people’s lives. I want to inspire others in their walk with Christ, the same way Brittany inspired me in mine. 


In my 8th and 9th grade years, I went through some hard times. From some difficult friendship troubles and significant life changes, it was a lot for me to handle during such a tough age. I made a lot of mistakes and I am so grateful that God’s grace knows no limits. Even in recent years, I have made mistakes and been through some very difficult times, watching people I care deeply about choose to make very harmful and hurtful decisions, but God has been with me through every one of them. I have learned to trust God on a whole new level, because of the trials I have been through. Because of all God showed me through these hard years, I wouldn’t trade any of them.  Through the hurt, the life transitions, and relationship changes, I have experienced immeasurable growth and I’ve come to know Christ in a more intimate way.


Today, I strive to grow more and more in Christ. I am continually amazed that God would love a wretch like me. When I look back on my life I can say, without hesitation, “Thus far the Lord has helped me” (1 Samuel 7:12). I can trust God with my future, because He has always been faithful in the past.

Well, that’s my story, the one He is writing through me. I am nothing without Christ. He is my Redeemer and I am dependent upon Him. I pray that, if you do not have a relationship with Jesus, you would cry out to Him and make Him the Lord of your life. He loves you so much that He sent His Son to give His life for you. No matter what you have done wrong in life, He knows and He still loves you. I pray that you would come to know Christ in a very real way. If you have any questions about anything I have said, feel free to email me at christy@tonynolan.org or leave a comment. Thank you for taking the time to read about God’s work in my life. I hope you will stay connected with my blog and read more of the story that He is still writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment